Monday, May 07, 2007

I just attended a funeral for a three year old...

Can I just say one thing...awkward.

That's what it was, awkward. Death shouldn't come so young. Death shouldn't seem so real. Death shouldn't be. I didn't know the boy, I've never met him. I knew the family. Keegan had an uncle, Chad, who is in the youth group. So I came to show my support to the family. The funeral was awkward - in the most respectful way possible.

I wondered down the hall from my office to the sancuary just moments before the funeral was to start. I found a seat, and seconds later a coworker sat next to me. We don't normally spend a lot of time together - awkward. It was cold, I don't know if it was emotions or the air conditioning was up to high, but it was awkward. The oranist played, "Jesus Loves Me" followed directly by "Jesus Loves the Little Children." Both seem obvious choices for a funeral of a child, but somehow out of place - awkward. Just into the second stanza of "'Jesus Loves the Little Children" a baby near the back started to cry loud enough that it would be appropriate for the mother to take him out, but from somewhere it felt good to hear. It was ok. She took her son into the foyer to comfort him and attend to his needs, but some how some way I felt as though it would be a good idea to tell her to stop, the baby's cry felt good - awkward. I didn't say anything, I couldn't speak. It felt wrong to speak. Seconds later the funeral director asked us to sit closer together so that more people could fit - awkward. Just then a tiny casket - awkward - came rolling into the room followed by many family members. It was the exact opposite of a wedding. All the people were of all ages, heights, weights, and used various means of walking (i.e. canes, wheelchairs, others shoulders) their walk was awkward. Just then the organist played "It is Well with My Soul" - awkward - a good song, and seemly would fit knowing the history of the song, but still - awkward.

I could go on and on, but just to say that it didn't feel right, and it shouldn't have. Death is so unnatural, and so against everything that God does and is that it can't be good.

No comments: