Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sex God

I just finished reading Rob Bell's new book - Sex God, and it was absolutely fantastic. I had a chance to sit down with Nate Dawson, yes Mom it is who you're thinking it is, and he first told me about the new book. Nate is one of Rob Bell's Disciples as well as a community Pastor at Mars Hill. He told me that this book was about how we live in a society that is under sexed. Meaning that sex is around us all the time (advertising, magazines, tv, the internet, etc.), but we don't see anything about true sex in our society. We are under sexed because the true meaning of sex is not being shown.

I honestly felt as though that was a little bit of a stretch. I welcome your opinion, but I think that it could have been better stated that we misunderstand the definition of intimacy. Rob told the stories of several people he has come into contact with that are deeply connected to a program, people group, ministry, or way of life and came to the conclusion that these people are sexually connected to their particular program, peapole group, ministry, or way of life. I guess I would say that they are intimately connected, or deeply connected. Much in the same way that a husband should be connected to his wife intimate.

Right out of the gate we get to here that if we talk about "this (sex)" we have to talk about "That (God)." Which is so true. It really isn't possible to discuss sex without talking about God. They are so deeply connected. Sex is such a spiritual act because God designed it!

All in all I liked it better that Velvet Elvis. It was well thought out and deeply moving. It brought things concerning my spirituality that I had not considered. It challenged me to be more and more connected to my wife.

Rob again challenged me to rethink my Christianity. Which is something that we will never completely figure out, so we should be constantly rethinking Christianity.

Thank you Rob for developing resourses that thouroughly challenge us to deeper faith, and deeper relationships.

No comments: