Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Chucklement Revisited (A review of the Harry Potter Series)

In college we had many different ways that we could fill our Chapel quota for the semester, some were the regular morning chapels and some were evening chapel supplements. One of those chapel supplement series was hosted by our college pastor, Chuck, so they became affectionately coined, "Chucklements." Even though the guy officiated our wedding I didn't go to many of his chapels. One, however, sticks out more than any other.

I don't know what he was speaking on, but I do remember this statement (or something very close) If you want to be a writer leave the Christian fiction to someone else, write in the secular media and point people to Christ. He said the same about the movie industry and then talked about a former student of his who was currently working on many major motion pictures.

I have never forgotten about those statements.

I have just concluded the seventh and final story of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series and I couldn't be more amazed. Not amazed in the "I love to be entertained" sense, but in the "way that the she was able to put the Christian story into the hands of millions and millions of people around the world!" Without letting the cat out of the bag, lets just say that Harry Potter is right up there with The Chronicles of Narnia in the British Fantasy Christian Allegory category.

I loved the series and am blessed to have read them.

No comments: